Tuesday 31 May 2011

Devizes, Wiltshire - Silbury Hill - Avebury Manor - Henge



I thought I knew it all.
I thought I've seen it all.
I thought I've heard it all

Until .........

Sunday 29 May 2011, My hubby brought us to a place called Devizes in Wiltshire, UK. When we get there, I can hardly see any exquisite views that will amuse me so I was a bit secretly disappointed but then when we started walking a bit further, I saw a river or canal with gates in it. When we got closer I realized it was actually loads and loads of them and its all the way to the top of the hill.

I didn't really know what does it actually do and what is the point of having those gates in the canal but my hubby started to tell me what these gates are for.. Sigghhhsss Here we go again, not another blinking lectures :) (I love it really!) 

After a long documentary from Mr. Parfitt. 

I was actually impressed with the story behind those canal gates and for his ancestors to create this fantastic revolution. It's such an amazing achievement for those people who had this clever ideas to make life a lot easier and quicker for the future generations. What a Job Well Done!!!

If you love going for a long walk then you will enjoy the walk starting from the first gate all the way to the top and just a few miles away there are other beautiful places to visit like Silbury Hill and National Trust - Avebury Manor. 

Of course knowing me, a woman with always something to moan about. The down side was, there is only one restaurant nearby and as much as I don't really want to bitch about the place. I believed they charged too much on hot drinks and sandwiches  :( 

Anyway below are some photos I took from my mobile phone

1. Hoping to help the boat owners to unlock the canal gate
2. Still waiting... :)
3. Oooppsss there's some smile so meaning there is hope
4. And they began the push
5. and push ...
6. and  .... pushhhh......


Lovely Jobly!
         


After Devizes, we went to Silbury hill but ended up being a little disappointed because we were not allowed to climb up the hill due to the fact that it's man made and the National Trust wants to protect it from getting ruined. :) which is fair enough.

However we still managed to go to another National trust which is in Avebury to see the Stone henge (like) and the Manor house. We went for another long walk but definitely worth it as its very refreshing, the wind blows just right, it was not so busy and the view was pretty amazing!
Its was a big shame  that we were not allowed to go in the Manor house because the BBC was doing documentary. 
Oh well, its just a good reason to come back so I wasn't that upset about it.

No comments: