Friday 29 July 2011

Philippine trip after nearly 7 years



I finally had the chance to go back to my home country after nearly 7 years. I was very excited and felt very certain what to expect.; the weather, the food, surroundings, lifestyles etcetera.. It took almost 20 hours journey from my home here in the UK to my Philippine home and I was very pleased I didn't even feel any jet lag when I arrived. I guess the excitement weigh more than my tiredness.

There is a lot of changes within the area I used to live and if I'm honest I am not that keen with what I saw. It was so busy everywhere and it became very commercialized. I guess its a good thing for some people who live in the area because they have an option to start a business with a huge potential profit.

I am also not particularly keen with the road now being used at all times. You can see lots of tricycles and jeepneys passing by which can be dangerous for the young children to play. I am comparing it to when I was a child.,I can still remember playing in that road without much worries because its very rare that you will see public vehicles passing by. It just goes to show how much changes it had as years passed by.

In here I moan about the weather especially during the winter and I'm sure I'm not alone. Sunshine here is like magic, every time we have sun shine people tend to looked a lot happier unlike during winter some people looked serious and miserable. In the Philippines, its a different story, the weather is very humid. Just imagine yourself in a sauna and your sweat dripping like mad without much effort put into it, that is how hot it is in the Philippines.

I love it at first because at last I am sweating, I didn't mind it much and I am sure I will get used to it again if I only stayed longer but the humidity doesn't help me feel enthusiastic at all times. I had a lot of moments where I felt so irritated and my blood pressure seems to reach the Mount Pinatubo and is boiling like its ready to burst any moment.

The shopping centres in Manila are nice and big. If shopping is your best talent :) then you must see the biggest shop in the Philippines called "Megamall", I am sure you will be the one to give up as it is very massive and one day is not enough to explore all the boutiques. Bear in mind that the shopping centres are open until 9pm-10pm everyday. There is also a shopping centre called "Mall of Asia" which is pretty good too but the open air bit didn't do much for me as the wind is not that fresh and of course very hot. There are lots of other places that I didn't manage to pay a visit to. There is Gloreitta, Greenbelt, SM Trinoma, Divisoria 168, Quaipo etcetera.

I only stayed for two weeks because I left my daughter and husband back here in the UK. Two weeks is not enough to explore Philippines. I am very fortunate that I was given an opportunity to go back in Boracay Island and even fortunate to be with majority of my family. Boracay island is a must see if you decided to visit Philippines and if you are a big fan of sea sides.

Here in the UK my husband always bring us to different sea sides and the astonishing views always fascinates me. I can say that Boracay Island is the place I can show him once we decided to go back there as family. I am very certain that my hubby and my daughter will enjoy themselves in there. The only downside is of course, given it is one of the most popular tourist destination in the Philippines, the prices are indeed ridiculously high especially If you are aware of the actual prices within Metro Manila and is also aware of the value of the Philippine peso. I guess if you compared it to our money here in the UK then it wont be as bad or even the other international currency but if you are from Philippines then you will know the huge difference.

with some of my family which is too many to mention :)

My cousin RJ 

with my cousin Troxan and Ate Eleng


We've only stayed in Boracay for 4 days and I wish we could have stayed longer. There is so much to see and explore. It is not just the actual sea front of the main stations of Boracay Island but a lot of fabulous views hidden around the actual Island. There is Puka beach which is quite far from Boracay stations, there is the boat trip that will bring you to another islands called the Crocodile Island and -oopppsss- I can't remember the name of the others lol. We didn't have much time to explore everything because we left Boracay Island at noon time and so we had to go back before it gets dark which is such a big shame :(

I don't drink alcohol and it is not really me. It bores me to death when it comes to bar, clubbing etcetera so the bars and club didn't do anything to me. It is just a simple places that I have to passed by to reach our hotel :) but I must admit there is a lot of bars around Station 2 that seems to be good. I judge it by how they played the music, loud and new :)

There is a place called D MALL which is like a small place where you can buy keepsakes or presents for your family and friends. It is not very expensive and there is a lot of selections you wish you could bring all but you must know the "tawaran" attitude. Tawaran attitude simply means asking for a discount. You will noticed that majority of the products displayed are not priced especially those products you will see located at the sea front. There is a reason for it of course, once you asked them the price, they will tell you how much and some people will just buy it if they really like it as it seems very cheap anyway but what they do not know is that you can still buy it even cheaper and that is where the tawaran attitude came in. If they say 350 pesos for example, don't just buy it even if you really like it.All you have to say is "what is the last price?" Some may say sorry that is the last price, well do not panic, just walk away and find another seller which I am 99% sure can give you a bit cheaper but if you really can't find it from other sellers, just go back to the original seller, I am sure they will not refuse to sell it to you and well lets face it, who would want to refuse a profit hey?

Anyway we bought some stuff that majority are not paid for the actual pricing point. We managed to make a deal out of it and save a bit so If we can do it, sure you can too :) There is also a lot of restaurants in "D Mall", you can see some popular fast food like Mang Inasal, Andoks, Chinese restaurant etc.. But if you are a lover of seafood and would like to pay a bit cheaper than what you will have to pay in the restaurant at the sea front then the best place to go is "D Talipapa", it is like a wet market where you can see lots of sea foods, meat / raw products, vegetables etc.. There is also a restaurant nearby who offer to cook your choice of sea food for you. We went there but my Mum didn't like the smell as its kinda smell fishy lol..

After Boracay, we also went to Laguna which offer a selections of private pool that you can hire and my family managed to find one in "Calamba". The house itself offers a varieties of entertainment, it has Karaoke :), Billiard / Pool and of course the swimming pools, one for kiddies and one for adults. We stayed there overnight and it was really nice to have the entire house with just your family in it.

Almost whole family but still not complete lol

OMBRE trailer

Overall, my two weeks holidays are good. I saw all my mones families particularly the children I used to played with but of course they are now grown ups. My Brother who made me so proud because his indie film "OMBRE" was chosen in Cinemalaya, his partner Kuya Edwin whom I love as my own Kuya. My family and closest cousin from America who apart from having 3 beautiful daughters, is still the same. I had a great sensible conversation with him which made me feel more encouraged to finish what I have started. I also had the privelege to meet the new additions to our Mones family, my sweet nieces and nephews from my cousins.

And of course, the second reason I would definitely come back soon is the Filipino food :),  from expensive restaurant to street food like fish balls, siomai, mirienda, balot hhhhmmmmmm nothing can beat the filipino food!


No comments: